Saturday, November 15, 2014

Out in the Snow

Yesterday was warmer--the thermometer went up all the way to 35 degrees-- and sunny, so like any good Boulderites Ben and I went out for a hike.  We walked up to Chautauqua where we found well trod paths and a clear view, all quite beautiful in the snow.  It felt good to be out in the crisp air getting some exercise that was different from shoveling snow.  

Walking on the sidewalks through the neighborhood wasn't as much fun since not everyone was mindful of the city ordinance to have your sidewalks cleared within twenty-four hours of the end of a snowfall, and we had to be careful not to slip on the packed snow.  


Later we went over to Ray and Paula's for dinner and had an enjoyable evening with them.  Paula instructed me in the ways of winter survival, recommending that we get a couple pairs of ice grippers to put on our shoes for traction on the unshoveled sidewalks.  I'm picking some up today.
 

 We had a great dinner of fried eggplant and Picadillo, a Cuban meat sauce.




The eggplant slices were first dredged in cornstarch, then egg, and then bread crumbs before being fried.  All that coating seemed to keep the eggplant from absorbing a lot of oil, resulting in a crisp outside and an almost custard like inside.  It was so delicious that I'm including the recipe here.  


Ben and I contributed homemade vanilla ice cream.  Paula and I poured some of this coffee liquor  over ours, which made it amazing.    


It is supposed to snow all day here, maybe totaling as much as six inches before it's done tonight.  I'm actually going to drive in the snow here for the first time, using Ben's car to get Paul to karate and getting some things done downtown while I'm out this morning.  Tonight Ben and I are going to the CU Women's basketball game.  People here don't let the snow stop them.  While I've been typing this I've seen several cars drive by, about six people walking their dogs, several people out walking and two people actually jogging.  So today I'm going out in the snow as well.  Wish me luck!  

2 comments:

  1. I had to call Drew over to say, she's hiking AGAIN. I swear! Neither rain nor snow nor dread of night shall keep you in! This does it, I am not fit enough to live in CO.
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That eggplant looks mighty tasty. I am not a huge fan of it, but I think I would like it fixed that way. I see "Fido" there is on the job, keeping the floor clean.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!