Thursday, April 10, 2014

Sunning

We had a beautiful sunny day today with temps in the low 70s,  just right for bringing our pet Bearded Dragon out on the patio to bask in the sun.  Spikey usually shows that he loves being placed in direct sunlight by striking the classic Beardie pose, tail down, chest out, head high.  


Out in the bright sun I could see the skin on his face pealing; clearly he has grown bigger over the winter and is about to shed yet another skin.   


I love the texture under his neck. 


He basked in the sunshine for a while, his little beady eyes moving to check out the shadows of birds flying overhead and occasionally flicking his tongue in what I quess was an attempt to catch a bite to eat.   After a while he went for a little walk, and then I captured him and gave him a warm bath in an old mixing tray to sooth the distress caused by the shedding; apparently it hurts a bit!

All that was quite enough excitement for the day and I think he was content to be put back into his cage.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a beautiful creature! Hard to get a sense of the size of him, though. How big?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!